Top 50 Personal Training Blogs
Having trouble keeping those New Year resolutions? Losing weight and getting in shape are easier said than done. Maybe you are already pretty fit but need some help getting to the next level. If you meet any of the above or just want a nudge in the right direction, a personal trainer is a great way to go.
However, a single 30 minute session with one can cost a bundle and still leave you with many questions and a bag full of whatever supplements he/she happens to sell. To avoid this, why not turn to the web? Many personal trainers blog loads of useful tips every day without charging a dime. To help, we have gathered the top 50 personal training blogs to help in your quest.
Top Personal Training Blogs by a Woman
These blogs are written with the female personal trainer or client in mind.
- 1. Everyday Fitness : Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women’s health, fitness, and nutrition. She blogs regularly for WebMD on how to achieve a full life through fitness. WebMD also has loads of other blogs on other health topics.
2. Workout Box : Shauna Edwards mostly blogs here to make workouts simple. Recent entries are on how much of weight loss is in diet and the most important part of your workout program. There is also information on workout programs, videos, a community, and even training logs.
3. Fit Bottomed Girls : Jenn is a certified personal trainer, a lifestyle and weight management consultant, and a group exercise instructor. Her blogging partner, Erin, has years of workout experience and is well versed in fitness news and trends. The blog offers loads of help on the traditional and less formal aspects of working out. They also offer tools, features, and tons more help.
4. Melinda’s Fitness Blog : She is currently studying to be a certified personal trainer and lets you follow along. Her blog documents her workouts, along with what she is eating and which supplements are worth their price tag. Read the latest entries or choose from many personal training categories.
5. Cranky Fitness : Although not a certified personal trainer, Jamie Graham has made such a splash on the blog scene with her unique take on fitness, the blog has been featured on many leading sites. Top posts include worst diet/exercise mistake and re-motivating.
6. Stroller Strides : Women who want a personal trainer who specializes in helping mothers should visit here. Stroller Strides was created by Lisa Druxman and is the country’s largest fitness program for new moms with over 600 locations nationwide. The blog is full of tips on products, getting lean, and even entrepreneurs.
7. Exercise Blog : Paige Waehner is a certified personal trainer through the American Council on Exercise and a freelance writer with more than 13 years of exercise experience. She blogs for About.com on exercise, weight loss, strength and cardio workouts, and how to get started. Recent entries are on stretching and fast eating.
8. Her Fitness Hut : Okay so Mark Dilworth isn’t a woman, but his blog is specifically for them. He is a certified personal trainer and top health blogger at Stanford University. Top entries include sculpt a sexy body and butt blasters. He also has a blog for both genders.
Top Personal Training Blogs by a Man
These men can also help out in your quest for an online personal trainer.
- 9. Extreme Human Performance : Mike Nelson is currently a PhD Candidate at the University of Minnesota in Kinesiology. His blog is a useful tool for those pursuing their next personal record. His blog greets you with an informational video and loads of updated posts.
10. Joe DiAngelo : An accomplished athlete and winner over 20 medals in competition, Joe has become one of New York’s most coveted fitness experts and personal trainers. His blog offers tips on personal training, fitness, nutrition, and gym training. He occasionally posts before and after images of his clients along with how they got results.
11. The Science of Sport : Ross Tucker and Jonathan Dugas both hold a PhD in Exercise Physiology. Along with the usual blog posts, they also offer guides to running techniques, marathons, fatigue, and more. Be sure not to miss the top eight of 08 and series on running shoes.
12. Fit Buff : Brandon was 6’3 and weighed only 160 pounds before beginning his personal training quest. After conquering a few challenges, he was able to beef up and tells you how. The blog also has loads more for those looking for help in fitness and diet.
13. Mr. Low Body Fat’s Blog : Muata gives his readers a formula for success that won’t cost you one red cent. Featured on CNN, he gives inspiration, videos, and more. He has even set fitness goals for 2010 and shares his progress.
14. World’s Strongest Librarian : Josh Hanagarne is an aspiring strongman, bookish nerd, twitchy guy with Tourette’s syndrome, and humble librarian. He discovered weights helped after a ten year battle with Tourette’s. Now he shows you how to get in shape for any disease or personal reason.
15. Black Fitness Blog : Mike is compelled to help brothers and sisters whom he sees making life changing mistakes. His blog advocates making changes in lifestyle to achieve results. Most commented entries include before and after weight loss photos and black athletes, white trophies/lovers.
16. Free Fitness Tips Blog : Tom Parker is from the U.K. and is an expert writer for e-zine articles on health and fitness. Categories include boosting metabolism, diet, training, and even smoking. He also offers YouTube videos and an email course.
Top Personal Training Blog by a Site
These websites also contain blogs by personal trainers.
- 17. Daily Spark : Sparkpeople is a leading weight loss and fitness community. However, you don’t have to be a member to check out the expert personal training blog. Popular entries include fat camp for adults, senior playgrounds, and lose 100 pounds without dieting. The main site also has loads more.
18. MH Blogs : The experts at “Men’s Health” magazine have so many blogs, you could spend hours on each. Of particular interest is Get Back in Shape by David Zinczenko who blogs weekly on how to slim down and shape up. Other notable ones include Eat This, Not That and Working Out the Details.
19. WH Blogs : Not to be outdone, these blogs are from the experts at “Women’s Health” magazine. Be sure and check out the Personal Trainer blog with Amy Dixon, the resident fitness expert. There is also tons of other fitness and health related blogs and items.
20. That’s Fit : A team of personal training experts blog on everything from fitness to celebrity health. You can also get help with success, motivation, and so much more. Current popular blog entries include a Pilates giveaway, easy ways to healthy living, and fish oil makers sued over toxic supplements.
21. Fitness Health Zone : With several entries a day, this site can meet all of your personal blogging needs in just one visit. Categories include fitness, exercises, nutrition, and more. Be sure not to miss the how-to section if you’re just beginning.
22. Blue Zone MOVE : The Blue Zones show you how to live your longest, best life. With a special section for moving naturally, those looking for an easy and effective personal training blog should stop here. Recent entries are on a top ten for TV.
23. Body Blogs : Bodybuilding.com is a leading site for those looking to build muscle. If looking for a blog, stop by the community with over 25,000 blog posts or start your own. The site also has loads of help for men and women interested in body building.
24. Built Fit : This site can help you build muscle, gain strength, and eat right. The blog has loads on new workouts and exercises. You can also read articles, join the forum, and get other tools.
25. Phit Zone : Todd and Becki Boyer are your source for physical fitness and nutrition health articles. Recent entries are on success and priorities. You can also get information on specials and contests.
26. Super Training Blog : This group was founded to create a community of seekers of truth in human performance. You can choose from workouts for abs, aerobics, weight loss, and more. They also give you the latest headlines for personal training.
Top Alternative Personal Training Blogs
These blogs focus on a different aspect of personal training.
- 27. Natural Body Building : Want to build mass without dangerous drugs or supplements? Marc shows you how through diet, workout tips, and training less, not more. He also has a feed on Twitter and iTunes with even more.
28. Brent Atwater : Brent is a leading art medicine pioneer in the United States specializing in paintings that heal. Her blog is on alternative sports medicine, energy healing, and medical intuitive diagnostics. Posts are sparse but date all the way back to 2005.
29. Kids Fitness Blog : Don’t forget the kids in your own quest for a virtual personal trainer. Sponsored by GoTrybe, they have the latest headlines in childhood fitness, obesity, and more. You can also learn more about joining.
30. Pilates Insight : This simple exercise can also be very challenging. A team of bloggers take on all aspects of Pilates including tips, workouts, principles, and even the benefits compared to yoga.
31. Everything Yoga : If you prefer yoga or want to learn more, visit here. This blogger is a certified yoga therapist whose style ranges from Vinyasa to Viniyoga. The useful links contain items such as highly recommended reads and videos.
32. Dahn Yoga Tai Chi Blog : Get a peek at both yoga and Tai Chi in this blog. Ilchi Lee gives you tips on breathing and poses, along with why you should do both.
33. Natural Health Alternative Blog : Get natural alternatives for many ailments here. They include dizziness, high blood pressure, and migraines to name a few. There is also help for relationships for more mature readers.
34. Losing Belly Fat : It may not be alternative, but who doesn’t want to lose a little or a lot of belly fat? With the help of this blog, you can do just that. Entries range from six pack workouts to diets that can work for you.
Top Personal Training Videos and Podcasts
Use your desktop or iPod to utilize these personal training tools to the fullest.
- 35. Jillian Michaels’ Mini Workouts : Ever wish the trainer from “The Biggest Loser” would jump through the television and help you in your personal training? Then click here for the next best thing. Hulu offers ten videos of Jillian Michaels showing you how to get in shape from head to toe.
36. Exercise TV : If looking for something more specific, stop here. This massive site offers loads of free full length videos targeting all areas of your workout. They also have a blog, community, and loads of other resources.
37. Ben Greenfield Fitness : This leading personal trainer was voted the number one trainer in the U.S. in 2008 and gives you free exercise, nutrition, weight loss, and wellness advice. In addition to podcasts, there are also videos and blog entries. You can also get information on supplements and other related products.
38. Dr. Fitness and the Fat Guy : In 1999, Dr. Shafran and Lee Kantor formed Neighborhood Fitness, the first personal training fitness studio/wellness center in Alpharetta, Georgia. The business later bloomed into a best-selling book and top rated radio show. Take a listen to their weekly show, read the blog, and more.
39. Doing Stuff Outdoors : Tune into this podcast to get help in all your outdoor personal training. Everything from skiing to rock climbing is discussed. They also have information on New Brunswick and “trail magic.”
40. Movement Science Blog and Podcast : Get both personal training blog and podcast here. Entries come monthly and there is also a section for clinical education. You can also check them out on Twitter.
41. Biggest Loser Fan Podcast : If your personal training involves weight loss, this show and podcast might be for you. Father Roderick and Cliff talk about the highs and lows of each episode, along with what you can do in your own weight loss journey. They even have a number and email where you can send in your questions and feedback.
42. Motion Traxx : Technically not a blog, but anyone interested in personal training should definitely listen. Deekron the Fitness DJ is a leading expert in workout music and any random listen can tell you why. The songs are specifically picked to motivate, energize, and inspire athletes at all levels.
Top Health Personal Training Blogs
These blogs can help you treat or prevent a sports related injury.
- 43. Sports Injury Info : Stay off the sidelines with the help of this personal training blog. Choose from the latest entry, or pick a topic such as anatomy, prevention, rehab, and more. There is also a section of frequently asked questions and answers.
44. Sports Medicine : Elizabeth Quinn is an exercise physiologist and fitness consultant who has been writing and editing health information content and working with athletes for over a decade. She blogs regularly for About.com on injuries, training, and sports smarts. Entries range on everything from athlete’s foot to sports related superstitions.
45. Doc for Jocks : DFJ started this blog to share cutting-edge knowledge from his medical practice and his experience with and as an athlete. It is intended for both the weekend warrior and competitive athlete. Entries are on both sports and things that interest him.
46. Natural Sports Medicine Blog : Dr. Todd Narson is a chiropractic sports physician from Miami. He is also one of only 217 Diplomate of the American Chiropractic Board of Sports Physicians in the United States. Diet tips, along with those for fitness, are included.
47. Sports Medicine : Terry Zeigler is the resident personal training expert at Suite 101. The blog focuses on a wide range of topics within sports medicine. This includes current events and trends in the field of sports medicine along with epidemiological studies within specific sports. You can also read blogs on related topics.
48. Howard J Luks : This doctor focuses on sports injuries, arthritis, and fractures. He also does arthroscopy and joint replacement. You can view his latest entry or check out expert information on common ailments and procedures.
49. Sports Injury Surgery : This blog features articles, resources, tips, and advice on all sorts of sports injuries. The blog itself is fairly short, but the main site has loads more.
50. 98.6 Dr. Pribut’s Blog : Based in Washington, D.C., this doctor specializes in running injuries. Recent posts are on Achilles tendinopathy and other challenging running injuries. His main site also has more.
Although eating right and getting in shape isn’t a bad thing, there are still wrong ways to do it. Be sure and consult with a licensed physician before beginning any workout, diet program, or following any advice found in the above top 50 personal training blogs.